Companies who handle packaging in the UK are subject to the Producer Responsibility (Packaging Waste) Regulations, introduced in 1997 to encourage companies to reduce the environmental impact of their packaging.
The regulations operate on a “producer pays” principle which means companies have to finance the recovery and recycling of packaging materials in proportion with the volumes they place on the market.
Does packaging compliance apply to your organisation?
The Producer Responsibility Regulations, apply to all organisations in the UK who meet a threshold that is defined in terms of tonnes of packaging handled and turnover. Your organisation is obligated if in the last year:
You handled more than 50 tonnes of packaging
Your turnover was over £2M (as per your last set of audited accounts)
Yes to both? Then you are deemed a ‘producer’ and need to take steps to comply with the Producer Responsibility Regulations. If you’re still unsure, why not get in touch to arrange a free onsite packaging regulation assessment.
What do you need to do?
Once you know that you are a producer, you have a certain number of obligations. As a minimum, these are to:
- Register with the appropriate agency by no later than 15 April each year (we recommend you register well ahead of this date, however)
- Collect data about your packaging ensuring it is ‘as accurate as reasonably possible’ and meets reporting requirements
- Calculate your obligation tonnage (i.e. the volume of packaging that you will need to assume responsibility for)
- Source appropriate Packaging Recovery Note (PRN) evidence to match your obligation tonnage
- Provide a certificate of compliance. Deadline for this is January 31st immediately following the end of the calendar year
Or you can simply register with our packaging compliance scheme and we will do all of the above for you, saving you time, money and energy.
How we can help you comply
With over 10 years’ experience as a packaging compliance scheme and as one of the fastest growing year on year, the good news is we are well equipped to handle your producer responsibility obligations on your behalf. In doing so, we will:
- Save you money through smarter, more efficient management of your obligation as well as discounts
- Remove the hassle and legwork from the whole process, leaving you to concentrate on your core business
- Reduce the risk from error – we know packaging compliance legislation inside out!
- Give you the performance information you need to feed back to senior management, as and when you want it
- Ensure you are up to date whenever any new regulations or amendments are tabled
- Protect you from the risk of financial sanctions from not complying with your obligations
Summary of key packaging compliance services
Our standard packaging compliance service covers all you need to meet your obligation including:
- Registration with the Environment Agency (EA)
- Data auditing, collection and reporting
- Calculation of your obligation and sourcing PRNs
- Transparent PRN investing with our unique platform Circularety
- Timely submission to the EA
Of course, our service is always tailored to each and every customer with:
- Flexible support packages (including full data management, in-house packaging consultancy and much more)
- A dedicated relationship manager to answer any queries
- Multi-regulation discounts and flexible pricing (Do you need help with WEEE, batteries or your ESOS obligation?)
We also offer:
- Comprehensive online reporting
- Proactive market tracking to secure best PRN prices in a fluctuating market
- Secure, online approvals system to minimise time and hassle
- One invoice, one point of contact
- Free monthly webinars to keep you up to date all year round
- E-alerts with the latest updates
- Representation at a Government level on all our members behalf