BIS has released new guidance notes, to help companies comply with the legislation.
The Department for Business Innovation and Skills (BIS) has released new guidance notes, addressed to those affected by the Packaging Essential Requirements, aimed at helping these companies Comply with the legislation.
The Packaging Essential Requirements affect all companies who place packaged goods onto the market. The regulations place the obligation on these companies to ensure that all packaging they pack/fill products into, sell or import into the UK, meets the essential requirements and is within the heavy metal concentration limits.
In order to comply with the Essential Requirements, a business must;
- Minimise packaging weight and volume (subject to safety, hygiene and consumer acceptance,)
- Make sure packaging can be recovered, or produce packaging that is reusable,
- Make sure packaging has minimal environmental impact after it is disposed of,
- Make sure packaging is manufactured to contain minimal levels of hazardous substances,
- Ensure that the maximum levels of certain metals (cadmium, mercury, lead and hexavalent chromium, or any combination of these) does not exceed 100 parts per million by weight.
There is also specific criteria that must be met if packaging is classed as reusable or recoverable.
The government guidance is updated on a regular basis and the latest is the October 2013 edition.
The full guidance document can be viewed at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/244694/13-1155-packaging-regulations-government-guidance.pdf
If you need any advice, or if you are unsure about whether your company is compliant with the Packaging (Essential Requirements) Regulations, please contact one of the ecosurety Compliance Team on 0845 094 2228.
Read More >>
In this free webinar our specialists will help you to understand your packaging obligations in France and Germany. You will also have the opportunity to ask any questions you may have.This webinar is CPD accredited.
Are you involved in the preparation and submission of packaging data? Join client services manager Abigail Warren for an overview of data and other requirements to help you get ready for the 2018 packaging compliance registration.Read More >>
Our response to the EA consultation on the potential impacts of a Deposit Recycle Scheme (DRS) in the UK was submitted last monthRead More >>