0845 094 2228

Towards the end of 2013, DEFRA launched a consultation to review the packaging recycling target for glass

The packaging recycling target for glass was previously set at 81%. ecosurety provided feedback during the consultation, explaining that we would like the target to be lowered, so that it reduces the cost of compliance for our members.

The ecosurety team have been eagerly awaiting confirmation of the 2014 target and we now have confirmation that the target for 2014 has been amended to 75%, with an increase in the remelt PRN target to 65%, from 63% in 2013. (This means that producers’ total glass obligations will decrease overall and at least 65% of PRNs have to be purchased via remelt.)

The targets will be increasing by 1% each year moving forwards, meaning that the overall recycling target will be 76% in 2015 and 77% in 2016. The remelt target will be increased to 66% in 2015 and 67% in 2016.

We are pleased with this outcome overall, as it is lowering our members’ obligations and we are hoping it will remove some of the pressure on the PRN market. Shortage in supply of PRNs over the past two years has meant that the market has been turbulent and we have seen prices remain consistently high.

There are still other factors which may impact the PRN pricing during 2014, but we feel that this is a positive step towards removing some of the volatility in the market. The ecosurety team will be working closely with our members to provide further information about how this will affect your obligations.  As always, we are confident that our pricing will remain competitive against other schemes and the market average throughout the year.

If you would like any further information about how the changes will affect your business, please email info@ecosurety.com or call us on 0845 094 2228.


James Piper

Managing director

James joined in July 2009 as the marketing account manager. Now managing director, James combines his past market experience and the work undertaken directly with companies to ensure all Ecosurety members benefit from the best possible price and expertise. In 2016 James won the Institute of Directors South West Young Director of the Year award and the Business Leader Rising Star Award.  In 2017 he has been shortlisted for an edie Sustainability Leader Awardwon Business Green Leaders Award and featured in the Resource magazine annual top 100 list of the most influential people working in the waste industry.


Written by
James Piper
Published
20/03/2014
Topics
Packaging, Compliance

Useful links


Webinar: Green Dot labeling obligations in Europe training

Do you sell packaging or packaged goods in Europe and want to know more about the Green Dot labelling obligations? Need to know where the Green Dot is mandatory, optional or not available? Or are you looking for details on how Ecosurety can support companies with international compliance?

Read More >>

Webinar: Packaging compliance review of regulations

In this free webinar our specialist Richard Hodges will help you understand how your packaging obligation is calculated, what is required for accurate reporting and where the UK recycling rates currently stand. There will also be an opportunity to ask any questions you may have. 
This webinar is CPD accredited.

Read More >>

Have your say in the Defra producer responsibility consultation

Defra is pushing forward the government’s red tape challenge, launching a consultation on the batteries and packaging regulations.

Read More >>